The Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Ukraine and the Korean Education Center are announcing the selection of students to receive a study grant from the Government of the Republic of Korea GKS 2021 for master’s and doctoral studies.
PLEASE NOTE THAT DOCUMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE SELECTION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED ON 01.03.2021 (Korean Independence Day) AND 08.03.2021 (INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY) IN CONNECTION.
1) Ukraine is allocated:
– submission of documents through the Embassy – 6 places, including 3 places for Ukrainians, 1 place for ethnic Koreans, 2 places for Korean language teachers;
– submission directly to the desired university – 10 places, of which 7 are allocated to universities from the general list and 3 places to regional universities of technical orientation;
2) the following is allocated to Moldova:
– 1 place for a Korean teacher;
– 3 places for universities from the general list.
Applicants who have not passed the 1st stage of selection through the Embassy can participate in the 1st stage of selection of fellows by submitting documents directly to the desired university.
1) master’s degree – 3 years;
2) doctoral studies – 4 years;
3) research activity (research program after obtaining the degree of Doctor of Sciences and research program for exchange professors) – 6 months.
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS:
1) persons under the age of 40 (born after September 1, 1981);
for applicants who are current Korean language teachers at the time of submission of documents – persons under the age of 45 (born after September 1, 1976)
2) persons with Ukrainian citizenship
– if the applicant or his parents have dual citizenship, one of which is Korean, the applicant cannot apply for selection.
3) applicants who plan to graduate from the university, when submitting a package of documents must provide a certificate, and a diploma of the appropriate level of education must be submitted by August 31, 2021.
The grant may be denied if the applicant does not provide all the necessary documents or his / her evaluations do not meet the selection criteria.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS:
– the average grade for all years of study at the last educational institution (according to the last level of education obtained) must correspond to one of the following options:
1) C.G.P.A. (Cumulative Grade Point Average) must be at least 2.64 / 4.0, 2.80 / 4.3, 2.91 / 4.5, 3.23 / 5.0 and above;
2) in percentage, the success rate must be at least 80% or the applicant must be up to 20% of the best students of the university
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS FOR KOREAN TEACHERS:
– current teacher of Korean language in primary/secondary/senior school or professor (teachers) of Korean language at the university;
– work experience as a teacher from 2 years (as of February 28, 2021);
– holder of a TORIC certificate of at least level 4 (certificate issued after January 1, 2018);
– applicants who choose the specialty “teaching Korean language” (applicants can not specify any specialty other than this);
– if desired, applicants can be exempted from language courses
※ list of additional documents for applicants choosing “Korean language teaching”
– certificate from the place of work (school or university) indicating the subject being taught (certificates issued by non-accredited governments of the country participating in the program, private educational institutions, etc. are not accepted)
– Certificate of teaching experience (the name of the subject taught by the applicant must include “Korean language”)
CRITERIA FOR GRANTING PRIVILEGES FOR APPLICANTS
– preference is given to applicants whose academic success for all years of study at the university averages more than 80% (GPA more than 80 points out of 100);
– holders of TORIK language certificates (for Korean) and TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS Academic (for English);
– holders of the TORIK certificate of level 3 and above receive an additional 10% of the total number of points obtained during the evaluation of documents;
– if the applicants gain the same number of points when evaluating the documents, the preference will be given to applicants with a specialization in science and technology.
ON LIMITATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF DOCUMENTS
1) University graduates (bachelor / master / graduate) in the Republic of Korea who have received a degree there are not eligible to participate in the selection (exceptions are adopted Korean Koreans and participants in the GKS program in the past).
2) Applicants who have been selected for a grant from the Government of the Republic of Korea but who have refused to do so are not eligible to re-apply for selection (exceptions are applicants who have been selected but have not been able to reach Level 3 last year. language courses, provided that the applicant has subsequently reached at least level 5 last year).
For more information on document restrictions, see the Restriction section in the guideline.
LIST OF DOCUMENTS
The full list of required documents is indicated in the guide from 2021
Starting from 2021, the procedure for accepting documents for consideration at the 1st stage of selection is simplified – it is allowed to submit copies / scanned copies of required documents without notarized translation / apostille / consul certification and without translation into Korean / English (for higher education diploma, extracts with grades , certificates of work experience, documents on citizenship, documents confirming belonging to the Korean ethnic group (for ethnic Koreans), a document on renunciation of Korean citizenship (if the applicant / his parents had one), adoption certificate (if necessary), etc. )
When submitting documents to the Embassy by mail, the presence of a notarization / apostille on the diploma and extracts with grades MANDATORY
!!! If the applicant submits the documents in person, the ORIGINAL DIPLOMA, ABSTRACTS WITH GRADES (OR SUPPLEMENT TO THE DIPLOMA) AND PASSPORT MUST BE SUBMITTED WHEN SUBMITTING. If these documents were not presented at the time of submission, the applicant will be denied acceptance of the documents.
Applicants who have passed Stage 1 and have been admitted to Stage 2 must submit the originals of all documents drawn up in Korean / English (documents drawn up in non-Korean or English must be translated into one of these languages with notarization).
All accepted documents are not returned !!!
Applicants for the GKS-G 2021 program can apply either through the Embassy or directly to the desired university. It is FORBIDDEN to submit documents to both the Embassy and the University at the same time (if the applicant submits documents to both the Embassy and the University at the same time, he / she will be automatically disqualified). If the applicant has not passed the 1st stage of selection when submitting documents through the Embassy, he / she has the right to submit documents for the 1st stage of selection of scholars directly to the University (but only in case of “failure” of the 1st stage of selection when submitting through the Embassy).
Receipt of documents by the Embassy or the University → verification and evaluation of documents → interview → selection of winners
Approximate date of the interview (when submitting documents through the Embassy): March 19, 2021 (persons admitted to the interview and its winners of the 1st stage based on its results will be notified separately)
In case of submitting documents directly to the university, please read the list of universities specified in the 2021 guideline.
Materials with instructions for submitting documents to the university can be found here:
http://www.studyinkorea.go.kr → Scholarship → GKS Notice
SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTS THROUGH THE EMBASSY AND CONTACT INFORMATION
Period of acceptance of documents: from February 24 (SR) to March 9 (VT) until 17:00
01.03.2021 (Korean Independence Day) and 08.03.2021 (International Women’s Day) – DOCUMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
Method of submission: by mail or in person
When submitting documents in person, it is MANDATORY TO PRESENT ORIGINAL DIPLOMA, EXCERPTS WITH GRADES / DIPLOMA SUPPLEMENT AND PASSPORT !!! If these documents were not presented at the time of submission, the applicant will be denied the documents.
Address: 01001, Ukraine, Kyiv, street Baptize, was. 8, floor 6, Korean Education Center
Phone for inquiries: +380 44 300 10 78
e-mail: [email protected]
Source: Website of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Ukraine