Rules for travel abroad of Ukrainian citizens

Rules for going abroad

According to the Law of Ukraine “On the Procedure for Leaving Ukraine and Entering Ukraine by Citizens of Ukraine” of January 21, 1994, citizens of Ukraine have the constitutional right to leave Ukraine (except in certain cases provided by this Law) and enter Ukraine.

Before leaving for another country, we advise you to read the mode of entry into the country

The documents that give the right to leave Ukraine and enter Ukraine and certify the identity of a citizen of Ukraine while staying abroad are:

  • passport of a citizen of Ukraine for travel abroad;
  • diplomatic passport;
  • service passport;
  • travel document of the child;
  • seaman’s identity card.

In cases stipulated by international agreements of Ukraine, other documents may be used instead of the mentioned documents for travel abroad.

In case of loss of the above-mentioned documents by a citizen of Ukraine, the document giving the right to enter Ukraine is an identity card for return to Ukraine, issued by foreign diplomatic missions.

A citizen of Ukraine may not be restricted in his right to return to Ukraine under any circumstances.

The procedure for entry into a foreign state is regulated by the legislation of the respective state, as well as the relevant international agreements of Ukraine in the field of mutual travel of citizens.

Citizens of Ukraine cross the state border of Ukraine at checkpoints across the state border of Ukraine after presenting one of the above documents.

When preparing to go abroad, it is advisable for citizens to read information about the country of entry, in particular:

  • its current legislation;
  • conditions of stay on its territory;
  • medical care (especially life and health insurance against accidents that may occur during travel);
  • employment and study opportunities in the host country;
  • features of traffic (for drivers);
  • calendar of holidays and weekends, etc.

Parents who plan to travel abroad with a child (without the other person from the spouse) should take care of obtaining the notarized consent of the other parent.

It is desirable to write down the addresses and contact numbers of the diplomatic mission or consular post of Ukraine in the country where the citizen will be, as well as to have with you:

  • two photographs measuring 35×45 mm;
  • photocopy of the passport of a citizen of Ukraine for travel abroad (first, second page and page with a valid visa), in case of travel with a child – a copy of his birth certificate, which in case of application to a foreign diplomatic mission of Ukraine for loss of passport documents for return to Ukraine.

We recommend that copies be kept separately from the original documents.

In the event of an emergency situation abroad with the participation of a citizen of Ukraine, it is necessary to contact the nearest diplomatic or consular post of Ukraine and report the event in order to promptly obtain the necessary assistance.

In the absence of a foreign diplomatic mission of Ukraine in the host country, a citizen of Ukraine may contact:

  • in person or through relatives / acquaintances in Ukraine with the operational work department of the Consular Service Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by phone numbers: (044) 238 16 57, fax: (044) 238 18 24;
  • send a message to the e-mail address [email protected] in order to clarify the location of the Ukrainian foreign institution in one of the neighboring countries with the host country, which provides the necessary assistance to compatriots in such cases.

Fresh news